Monday, June 25, 2007

9 days and counting

Tim has 9 days left at work. He is going into business for himself; he and his step-mom. She's been in taxes and accounting for 20 years and Tim's the IT guru. They are combining their areas of expertise to become a finance and technology support source for small to medium businesses. It's a scary step for us. We've never been without a guaranteed paycheck and company benefits, but somehow I know this is the right thing for us to do and God will take care of us. I am so at peace with the long term outlook. Mostly because I know how Tim ticks. He's in his element. This is what he's been preparing for for a long time. The hard part is going to be getting used to the transitional phase. Harder still may be writing the check each month to the insurance company. I think it's going to be in the neighborhood of $800/month. Thank goodness the baby-making days are over because a maternity rider would be even more.

On top of all this, he is starting his MBA in August, one week after our 14th anniversary. Every other Friday and Saturday for 18 months. I've heard the horror stories about the toll it takes on a marriage. One college friend couldn't fix the problems in her marriage that began during her husband's pursuit. Maybe hearing the warnings is a good thing. Maybe it has helped prepare me a bit. I know it isn't going to be easy for either of us but I think it is part of my job as a wife to support the personal goals of my husband and in extension our goals for our family. On the tough days and late night study sessions I hope I can remember to fast-forward to Graduation Day when he has achieved one of his most desired goals and imagine how proud I will be.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

Best of luck to you & your husband with the new job & working towards his MBA. The next 18 months will be tough at times, but it sounds like you have the right attitude - acknowledging that it's going to be difficult, but supporting your husband in his goal! We have some challenging time ahead as well - my hubby will be starting med school in August. Like you, I flash forward to 4 years from now when my hubby becomes a doctor.