Monday, August 3, 2009

Reaching "low-gluten" status

Well, it's slow going on the gluten-free homefront. I am officially "low-gluten" if that counts. No bread or anything with breading. Still doing a lot of reading and internet shopping/browsing to find GF options. I am a granola-bar-breakfast kind of girl and I found these reallly yummy GF nut and fruit bars from Mrs. May's Naturals called Trio. I'm also experimenting with a bread machine thanks to my aunt Cathy :) Too bad I have screwed up both attempts so far. And at $4.00+ a loaf (boxed mix) I can't afford to make too many mistakes. I plan to mix up my own GF flour/baking mix once I get more comfortable with the whole process.

I'm also happy to know that many "mainstream" companies now clearly label their products as GF. All CHEX cereals are GF. So I will be making some CHEX crispie treats this week. I was disappointed to find out that Rice Crispies are sweetened with (barley) malt flavoring which is "glutified".

Tonight for dinner I made spaghetti. I had corn flour spaghetti pasta and we all ate the GF chicken meatballs. The pasta tasted completely the same to me. I didn't really care for the meatballs. I'd rather just make my own meatballs next time.

We had the freshly baked second loaf of bread. I forgot to put the water in until about 2 minutes after the cycle started. Not sure how much it hurt anything because it was nearly identical to the first screwed up batch that I forgot to put the eggs in.

Both loaves had the texture of cornbread, which isn't bad, I like cornbread. But not to try to make sandwiches out of. Not sure what I'm going to do once school starts. I wanted to just make the whole house GF for the sake of convenience but it seems like buying a loaf of bread for sandwiches may win out. Not sure yet.

No comments: