Friday, July 24, 2009

Hold on, it's going to be a bumpy ride

I've done a lot of wondering, thinking, and reading over the past several weeks and I am quite certain that I have gluten intolerance on some level. The symptoms are extensive and vary dramatically in each person but I have some degree of all the top symptoms:

  • fatigue/depression/lack of motivation
  • "brain fog"
  • skin rashes
  • irregular bowel habits
  • joint pain

At this point I have decided not to seek a diagnosis from a physician. There are dozens of tests that have to be done and most are not conclusive in and of themselves. It's the results together as a battery and the conclusion of an experienced doc that confirms. Unless you have a biopsy of your small intestine that is positive for Celiac, that's obvious.

Instead I have decided that our house will go Gluten-free and see how my body, and every body else too, reacts. I will most likely seek out a nutritionist to help teach me how to decode labels and ingredients. The books help but I'm so overwhelmed by all the info in them.

The good news is that on my last trip to Costco, I was able to find nearly a whole cart full of new G free choices, even hot dogs!!

I know I can and need to do this, and will get there eventually. It's just at this point it seems like an insurmountable obstacle to try to remove all wheat, barley, rye from our lives. No more blindly grabbing bread, cookies, crackers, pasta, spaghettios (even Annie's Naturals), pizza, etc. And there's so much more that you don't even think of: SAUCES! Thickening agents, Soy sauce, Ugh!

So much to learn! So much life to gain back!

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh, wow! I hope your diet change helps with your symptoms. I'm sure with some help from a nutritionist, going gluten-free won't seem so difficult. If it will improve your health, than it's something you have to do! Good luck, girl!

Anonymous said...

Yes exactly, in some moments I can bruit about that I acquiesce in with you, but you may be inasmuch as other options.
to the article there is still a suspect as you did in the go over like a lead balloon a fall in love with issue of this request www.google.com/ie?as_q=a123 all video converter platinum 5.3 ?
I noticed the utter you procure not used. Or you functioning the dreary methods of development of the resource. I possess a week and do necheg