Sunday, August 24, 2008

15 Years of Us


The kids and I have been out of town for the past three days and Tim just left for the next 3 days. We got to spend a whole 22 1/2 hours together for our anniversary. So romantic. The big surprise was that Tim sent me flowers on Wednesday before we left. It was a HUGE shock. I made the mistake probably 10 years ago to say something like "flowers are pretty but they are such a waste of money". I've gotten flowers twice since then. He sent a bouquet of 15 flowers, 12 red, 1 pink (Abigail), 1 white and 1 yellow (the boys).

I was in such a funk last week I really needed that little pick-me-up. It was totally unexpected and so appreciated. This year has been hard. I know we would have done so much more to celebrate this milestone if not for his school. He feels bad that he has been less than attentive. But I try my best not to complain and I think I've done a really good job of resigning myself to being "pushed to the side" for 17 months. I knew what we were heading in to, I'm just ecstatic that we are so close to the end. He's done with August classes. Just 4 more months. We already received the Save-the-Date for the class graduation dinner in January.

Last weekend's trip for me and the kids helped a lot too. We took Grammy to Harkers Island to scout out some houses for sale. (On the drive down, we passed through New Bern and right past Marine Corps Air Station Cherry Point. That's where Tim and I began our life together so it was fitting that we were in the area on our 15th anniversary weekend. It was just sad that he wasn't with us.) Grammy and Pappy are trying to decide if they might want to get a weekend place at the beach. I think if they do, it will end up being a full-time deal, forget about weekends only!! Thursday night we drove the 20 miles over to the historic Beaufort waterfront and ate the best seafood at the Net House. OMG only the best meal I've eaten in ages!!! We walked up to the waterfront and listened to a Jimmy Buffet type duo playing some live music. Kids all over climbing in the Live Oaks and dancing. I took some pictures but they are on my phone and I don't know how to get them off since I don't have email on my phone. Friday we looked at houses and then packed up a couple of beach bags and hopped on a flat-bottom skiff ferry at Calico Jack's to go over to Cape Lookout. The kids played with the marina dogs while we waited to board. No...that's not me in the bikini. The brown dogs are Chesapeake Bay retrievers. This little guy with Cameron is Jeff, he's 5 weeks old.
Cameron was not crazy about the 10 minute boat ride to Cape Lookout. It was fun but I can't blame a 2 year old. It was like the Log Ride, only at 40 miles an hour. He cried most of the ride over but he was so tuckered out on the ride back, he actually fell asleep.
Cape Lookout was amazing. We were on the inlet side (vs. the ocean-side) so there were virtually no waves. It was kind of like being at a lake. The water was so clear. The kids played without being knocked over by waves and their suits weren't packed with sand.


In the distance you can just barely see Shackelford Banks famous for the wild horses that live on the island. We're headed back next weekend for the Labor Day holiday with daddy and Pappy. Grammy found a house that she wants Pappy to see. It's a rental, so we are actually going to stay there and see how they like it. It's going to be like an HGTV episode of Sleep On It!!
Tim and I are planning to try to get out one night for dinner by ourselves so that will be our anniversary dinner. Can't wait!!





2 comments:

Lisa said...

Happy Anniversary to you too! Wow, 15 years!!! Congrats! Your flowers are gorgeous - the pink, yellow & white flowers were such a special touch!

Sounds like you had a wonderful trip with your kids (and it helped get you out of the funk!)

I can imagine how hard this year has been for you, but in 4 short months you'll be celebrating your husband's graduation - woohoo!

Oh, and thanks for the sweet note you left in my comments!

Jenny said...

Happy Anniversary! What a beautiful place to visit, too. I'm so jealous. The little band playing, kids climbing, the Chesapeake Bay retrievers....man I must get out more! LOL