Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Transitions

I've been cleaning out closets the past week. Trying to stock them with appropriate attire for 45-85 degrees. Gotta love the seasonal transition into Fall. I do love Fall but it is hard to dress for the day sometimes.

My biggest saddness though has to be that this is the first year that my baby girl can hardly wear ANYTHING from the previous year. She had a tremendous growth spurt over the summer. Some growth up but mostly out. It really surprised me because we were very active at the pool this summer so I didn't think that it was just weight gain from being sedentary at home over the summer. Her spurts had usually been coming towards the middle of the school year. I really think she's just hitting that "stage" already. Ugh, boo-hoo. It might have been my mom that said she's transitioning into a young lady. But I want her to stay my baby girl.

I was an early bloomer. I got my first bra in 4th grade, she's just a year away. It's also incredibly hard not to impose my body image insecurities onto her. So far that's been my biggest struggle. Not to tell her to stand up straight and suck it in. I have said it to her and it kills me that I can't take it back. I'm not one that remembers lots of things from my childhood but I have vivid memories of being teased by my dad. I can't believe I'm possibly doing the same thing to my daughter. She already seems so much more confident than I felt at her age. I don't want to damage that. I think we're heading into that age range where they say that it's harder raising girls than boys.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Don't worry about your comment. There are tons of positive comments you can lavish her with. It's a shame what magazines and shows do to make the majority of us women feel like big ol' fat asses when we are really just normal. When I was in jr. high school, I had on this cheap white acrylic sweater and a bra that fastened in front. I didn't realize until the end of the school day that it had come undone and the two cups were plastered to my back, slightly lumpy and probably very noticeable. Ah, memories....