Thursday, October 11, 2007

Family Fun Night

Family Fun Night is the Fall Festival at Abbie's school. It's tomorrow night. Every class has a carnival style game in their room. The 4th and 5th graders have group games, one is a Mad Scientist Lab this year. Tim will be in class so I'm taking Abbie and Coop while G'parents watch Crazy Man. Grammy asked why I'm not taking him. "Because I want to have fun," I responded. Pretty sure Grammy is going to come with us, maybe Pappy, too.

Here's the pumpkin Abbie made for the pumpkin decorating contest. No carved pumpkins allowed. After we took this picture Abbie decided she didn't like the eyes. I wiped off the eyes (God bless Baby Wipes) and grabbed one of my older coats out of the closest and we used real buttons for the eyes. Much better!! I'll have to get another picture.


Since I couldn't volunteer on-site as much this year with Tim's school schedule I decided to send things in instead: drinks, 2 cakes (bake sale and cake walk), and a CD for the High School Musical Chairs game Abbie's class is doing. I spent nearly all day so far making a Brown Sugar Pound Cake with Brown Sugar Glaze, see sample recipe #3 (I split the recipe into 2 8x8 pans). I've never tried it before. But if the pieces I had to trim away to get the lids on are any indication of the rest of the cake, I will be making it again very soon. Only thing I will do differently is the glaze. Calls for 3 cups of powdered sugar. I'd stop at 2 cups and adjust from there to desired consistency and taste. 3 cups made it too dry/crumbly and too sweet instead of more buttery/caramelly. I even downloaded some recipe card templates and attached the recipe and a festive bow.
Who do I think I am, Martha Stewart?? I wish! Mostly because she has some poor schlump to clean up after her. Sorry, no pictures of that!


Here is the finished result alongside Cooper's painted pumpkin.

Thanks for the birthday messages. We didn't go to the football game. 80 dgrees is just NOT football weather. That just left extra Magarita time!!!

1 comment:

Organized Chaos said...

You've been tagged...see my blog...it's about time for a new post anyway!